Fiancé Visa Application

A fiancé(e) is a person who wishes to enter the UK with a view to marriage to a sponsor who is either already present and settled in the UK; or will be admitted for settlement in the UK when arriving there, with the intention of permanent settlement in the UK.


Status of Partner

Your partner should be:

  • a British Citizen in the UK; or
  • present and settled in the UK; or
  • in the UK with protection status; or
  • in the UK with limited leave; or
  • in the UK with limited leave as a worker or business person under Appendix ECAA Extension of Stay.
Present and settled

Present and settled means that the sponsor is either settled in the UK at the same time that an application under the Immigration Rules is made, is physically present in the UK; or is coming to the UK with or to join the applicant and intends to make the UK their home with the applicant if the application is successful.


You and your sponsoring partner must both be 18 years of age or over.

Meeting requirements

The applicant and their partner must have met in person. A relationship that has developed over the Internet would not satisfy the ‘to have met’ requirement unless the relationship included a personal face-to-face meeting between the couple concerned. Evidence of a face-to-face meeting might include a travel history, relevant email exchanges etc. However, even if a couple has not met, the application may not be refused if they prove their intention to live together, maintain each other, and have accommodation. In most cases, the difficulty for applying for this type of visa is how to prove the intention to live together and settle in the UK permanently.

Financial requirements

You and your partner must have sufficient funds to support yourselves (and any dependants) without claiming public funds.


Prohibited Relationships

You must show that you or your partner were not involved in any prohibited degree of relationships.

Previous Relationships

You must show that any previous relationship that you or your partner were involved in (whether it be as a married or an unmarried couple) has ended.


You must also meet the English language requirements at a minimum of level A1.


You must secure suitable accommodation for yourself, your partner, and any dependents. Also, the accommodations should not be overcrowded or violate public health regulations.

If you need any help regarding your visa application, feel free to get in touch.

Immigration Related Insights

MSRS-Appendix FM Financial Requirement

Appendix FM Financial Requirement

Meeting Financial Requirements You must satisfy the specific requirements based on your relationship with the UK family member. You also need to show financial support ... Read more

How the AM (Belarus) Case Redefined Right to Private Life in UK Asylum Law

Introduction: In the recent case of R (on the application of AM (Belarus)) v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2022] EWCA Civ 780, ... Read more
New ILR Rules for Victims of Domestic Abuse What You Need to Know

New ILR Rules for Victims of Domestic Abuse: What You Need to Know

The Immigration Rules for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) for victims of domestic violence or abuse have recently been revised. On January 31, 2024, the ... Read more
MSRS-Navigating Sponsorship Licences Expert Legal Support for Hiring Migrant Workers with MSR Solicitors

Navigating Sponsorship Licences: Expert Legal Support for Hiring Migrant Workers with MSR Solicitors

At MSR Solicitors, we have decades of experience assisting start-ups and established businesses in recruiting and retaining migrant workers. We help these companies obtain the ... Read more