Graduate Trainee Visa

The Graduate Trainee visa permits you to work for your employer’s UK branch, provided your role is eligible and contributes to a graduate training program in a managerial or specialist capacity. This visa replaces the earlier Tier 2 Intra-company Transfer Graduate Trainee visa. In cases where you aren’t part of such a training program, an alternative option could be the Senior or Specialist Worker visa for working at your employer’s UK branch. 


  • Employee of a Home Office-approved sponsor organization.
  • Minimum 3 months’ prior work experience outside the UK.
  • Requires a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ specifying the intended UK job.
  • Role must align with eligible occupations and offer a minimum annual salary.
  • Cannot switch to a Graduate Trainee visa from within the UK.

Financial Requirement

  • The minimum annual salary is £24,220 and you cannot change (switch) to a GTV from inside the UK. 

How long can you stay in the UK? 

  • Depends on the duration stated on the certificate of sponsorship plus an additional 14 days or a maximum of 12 months.
  • No visa extension; fresh application required from outside the UK.
  • Cumulative stay within any 6-year period cannot exceed 5 years, ensuring balanced use of work visa categories.

Application Necessities

  • Demonstrated minimum of 3 months’ employment with the sponsor outside the UK prior to application.

If you need any assistance regarding your Graduate Trainee Visa application, please feel free to contact us.

Immigration Related Insights

MSRS-Appendix FM Financial Requirement

Appendix FM Financial Requirement

Meeting Financial Requirements You must satisfy the specific requirements based on your relationship with the UK family member. You also need to show financial support ... Read more

How the AM (Belarus) Case Redefined Right to Private Life in UK Asylum Law

Introduction: In the recent case of R (on the application of AM (Belarus)) v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2022] EWCA Civ 780, ... Read more
New ILR Rules for Victims of Domestic Abuse What You Need to Know

New ILR Rules for Victims of Domestic Abuse: What You Need to Know

The Immigration Rules for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) for victims of domestic violence or abuse have recently been revised. On January 31, 2024, the ... Read more
MSRS-Navigating Sponsorship Licences Expert Legal Support for Hiring Migrant Workers with MSR Solicitors

Navigating Sponsorship Licences: Expert Legal Support for Hiring Migrant Workers with MSR Solicitors

At MSR Solicitors, we have decades of experience assisting start-ups and established businesses in recruiting and retaining migrant workers. We help these companies obtain the ... Read more