Representative of an Overseas Business Visa


As a representative of an overseas business in the UK, you can apply for this visa if you are from an overseas newspaper, news agency, or broadcasting organization on a long-term assignment. If you’re establishing the first UK branch, please refer to the UK Expansion Worker visa. From outside the UK, the decision is usually in 3 weeks; from within, 8 weeks. Fees vary by location. You can’t work for another business or yourself but can bring dependents and apply for settlement after 5 years. 


Representative of an Overseas Business visa requires financial self-sufficiency and meeting English proficiency. This visa is for employees of foreign newspapers, news agencies, or broadcasting organizations on long-term UK assignments. 

Knowledge of English

To fulfill the English language requirement for the Representative of an Overseas Business visa, you can either:
  • Pass an approved English test at CEFR level A1 in speaking and listening
  • Possess an academic qualification taught in English and recognized by ECCTIS (formerly UK NARIC) as equivalent to a UK degree

Certain nationalities are exempt; refer to the visa guidance for details. 

Documents you will need

When applying for the Representative of an Overseas Business visa, you must submit the following documents: 
  • Valid passport or travel identification
  • Proof of financial support for yourself and dependents (bank statements or payslips)
  • Evidence of meeting the English requirement
  • Comprehensive description of the parent company’s activities and financial details
  • Confirmation of your role as a representative in the UK

Additional documents are needed for overseas applicants, including accommodation details and tuberculosis test results if required. Translations of non-English or non-Welsh documents are necessary. 

Your partner and children

Your family members (dependents) can accompany you to the UK on the Representative of an Overseas Business visa. Dependents include:
  • Your spouse or partner
  • Children under 18

Their visas usually match your visa’s expiry date. If you are a sole representative, your partner cannot be a dependent if they control the majority of the overseas business.

Dependents can submit their visa applications online, which may involve providing biometric information. They also have the option to extend or switch their visas while staying in the UK. Children born in the UK can be added to the visa. Dependents can work, study, and travel but can’t access most benefits. 

Contact us

Feel free to reach out if you require any additional information or assistance at contact us.

Immigration Related Insights

MSRS-Appendix FM Financial Requirement

Appendix FM Financial Requirement

Meeting Financial Requirements You must satisfy the specific requirements based on your relationship with the UK family member. You also need to show financial support ... Read more

How the AM (Belarus) Case Redefined Right to Private Life in UK Asylum Law

Introduction: In the recent case of R (on the application of AM (Belarus)) v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2022] EWCA Civ 780, ... Read more
New ILR Rules for Victims of Domestic Abuse What You Need to Know

New ILR Rules for Victims of Domestic Abuse: What You Need to Know

The Immigration Rules for indefinite leave to remain (ILR) for victims of domestic violence or abuse have recently been revised. On January 31, 2024, the ... Read more
MSRS-Navigating Sponsorship Licences Expert Legal Support for Hiring Migrant Workers with MSR Solicitors

Navigating Sponsorship Licences: Expert Legal Support for Hiring Migrant Workers with MSR Solicitors

At MSR Solicitors, we have decades of experience assisting start-ups and established businesses in recruiting and retaining migrant workers. We help these companies obtain the ... Read more